Monday, October 18, 2010

Belmar Park

I was absolutely shocked when I walked back behind the Belmar Library to check out Belmar park and discovered Kountze Lake. The kids and I immediately took off to explore. Each child would yell out in delight when they spotted a duck, goose, turtle, or fish.

This quickly became a family favorite as it took us a few trips to discover the variety of trails as well as find the playground. We now go prepared with a picnic and plenty of water as the children explore.  At each crossroad they take turns deciding which way we go.

I've found a map online showing the three trails (1.1 miles, 1.4 miles, and 1.8 miles). Whenever I get a chance I take a brisk walk around the lake pushing my daughter in her stroller before the library opens and we go to story time. A concrete trail goes around the park’s perimeter, and the area is divided by intersecting gravel paths and horse trails. I've had very little trouble pushing the stroller on the concrete as well as the gravel paths. Every once an a while there will be a spot where the gravel is a little deeper and I have to push the stroller a little harder, but I figure that just gives me an added workout.

One trail even takes you to Lakewood's Heritage Center. We've yet to take a tour. Currently we've just walked by the many historic buildings and we've been to the amphitheater for a movie after dark.



801 South Wadsworth Blvd.
Lakewood, CO 80228

1 comment:

  1. Hello Shareeanne. Thank you for your beautiful "Discovering Denver" blog about Belmar Park. I'm preparing to post an event that will hopefully include a tour of the Lakewood Heritage Center next week on Thursday morning, 10/18/2012. This may not be a good date and time for you and your children, but if you have another date and time for a walk and tour you and your family would like to share, please give me a call, and I'll volunteer to help you schedule your shared event. -- Fran Rew (303) 321-1064

    ReplyDelete